How do I get a library card?
Any California resident can get a library card. If you live outside of Contra Costa County, please apply in person for a full-access card at your Community Library.
If you want to use services listed below, please visit any Community Library to upgrade an e-Card to a full-access library card.
Documents required to get a library card are:
- Valid Driver's License with current address OR
- Valid California ID Card with current address
OR, two other pieces of identification, one of which must have current address:
- An ID with name plus a proof of current address
- Printed bank check
- A piece of first class mail postmarked within 30 days
- Voter registration card
- Utility bill
- Car registration
- A letter from a Social Service Provider stating that the individual receives mail at the provider's address, plus name verification, plus one other name identification.
Those under 13 years of age need the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
Library cards expire every 3 years; e-cards are valid for 1 year.